Working In Australia
Permanent migrants and temporary residents in Australia can apply for a TFN online. This option is available to:
- Working holiday-makers
- New Zealanders (who are automatically granted a visa upon arrival)
- Overseas students
- People with a valid visa allowing them to stay in Australia indefinitely, and
- People with a Business Visa.
Permanent migrants and temporary residents in Australia can apply for, and receive, a TFN more quickly by using the online application. When applying online, you do not have to physically provide proof of your identity.
To apply online, you will need a valid passport or relevant travel documents and must:
- Be authorised to work in Australia by the Department of Home Affairs or have a valid overseas student visa.
- Be allowed to remain here indefinitely, and
- Be in Australia when you lodge your application.
The online system is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week via www.ato.gov.au when you apply online, the system will compare your personal and travel document details with those held on the Department of Home Affairs systems. If your details are validated by the Department of Home Affairs, you will receive a receipt number.
Contact the Tax Office: 132861www.ato.gov.au